So glad you visitied!


Thank you for stopping by!

This blog is a compilation of my favorite recipes. Over the years, I have gathered recipes from lots of different people and places. These are by no means my personal creations, unless noted.


You are invited to comment, chat, and enter recipes of your own. Hope you have fun!

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Life.  What a ride.


The past 18 months have been long, difficult, painful.  Moments of despair, moments of pure joy, moments of sadness, moments of excitement, moments of reflection.

February 19, 2016 we lost Dave's father after a three week stint in the hospital.  Looking back, he was ill for quite some time, but didn't seem to want to share just how ill he was.    

Summer of 2016 brought many changes to life for my Mom and Dad.  Dad became quite frail, and ultimately ended up in hospice care - for five months.  Mom went through a steady decline during that time, and passed away on December 10, 2016.  Dad remained in hospice are until he joined his wife of 67 years on February 22, 2016.

Learning to do life without our parents has been a slow process.  There are still many times that I walk through the grocery store and stop, thinking, "Hey - that is something that mom would like!  I should make that for her."  Then I remember, and move on.  I miss cooking for them.  It was so much fun making their favorites, and giving the something to try that they had not tried, before.  Up until the end, they enjoyed the food I made, and even requested some of their favorites.  Dad's last real meal was Kraut Birok.  That means a lot.  

After the dust had settled, I decided to focus on myself - to begin eating properly for the first time in many, many years.  I began cooking food in small portions, using very little oil and fats, and no added salt.  The result has been very pleasing, I have lost more than 70 pounds, and have been able to go off of my blood pressure mediation for the first time in 33 years. Dave is down 45 pounds, and has been working out to become stronger and healthier.  

This cooking style has had its challenges, but has also been really fun - a never-ending quest for recipes that are satisfying, tasty, and appropriate.  It will be fun to share them!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment