So glad you visitied!


Thank you for stopping by!

This blog is a compilation of my favorite recipes. Over the years, I have gathered recipes from lots of different people and places. These are by no means my personal creations, unless noted.


You are invited to comment, chat, and enter recipes of your own. Hope you have fun!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Food Memories Journal 2

The first time I cooked a meal for company after we were married was for Dave's Uncle Mike and Aunt Carol.

Dave wanted me make spaghetti. Spaghetti was a big deal.  My mother never made spaghetti, so I was very nervous. Now, I should explain that I had never cooked before we were married, but I agreed to cook and show myself to be the perfect hostess.

The table was set with my fine china and crystal.  The flowers on the table were lovely.  The house sparkled, so I was ready to cook.

I browned the hamburger, put it with the sauce in the jar, and had it simmering on the stove.  (Wow - culinary giant.)

It seems that cooking the pasta proved to be a difficult thing for me.  Apparently, I couldn't even boil water properly.  The water came up to a boil, and it started to boil over.  The oil in the water caught on fire and went up in flames.  No huge deal - a cover on the pot solved the problem - except for the smoke smell in the house.  Again - it should not have been a problem - open the doors, turn on the fan, spray the air freshener - situation handled!

Except - Uncle Mike was a firefighter.  I was terribly embarrased when his first comment after entering the house was, "So what did you burn, Marilyn?" 

Not my most shining moment.  Uncle Mike passed away in a farm accident a few years later, so this remains a shining memory.  Mike, this jar of Prego is for you.

2 comments:

  1. I never heard this story! NOW I know why you refuse to put oil in the water when you boil your pasta...something I believe makes all the difference in the world if you're trying to avoid sticky noodles.

    Of course we all know who taught me to boil pasta in the first place...you weren't too fond of the day that I through a noodle against the backsplash to see if it was ready to eat! Thank you, Aunt Vonda ;)

    Aren't you glad we learn as we go??

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm...THREW a noodle against the backsplash...oops

    ReplyDelete