So glad you visitied!


Thank you for stopping by!

This blog is a compilation of my favorite recipes. Over the years, I have gathered recipes from lots of different people and places. These are by no means my personal creations, unless noted.


You are invited to comment, chat, and enter recipes of your own. Hope you have fun!

Friday, January 14, 2011

Food Memories Journal 3

Memories are funny things.  You think you have it all remembered, then another one creeps in and takes you by surprise.

Take school lunches, for example.  When I was little, the schools I attended were very small.  No cafeteria lunches for me.  It was strictly carry-your-own.  So begins the unending parade of peanut butter and potato chip sandwiches and oranges.  Or sometimes bologna and lettuce and an apple. 

All my friends  got a small carton of milk each day, complete with paper wrapped bendy straw.  Milk was not a given in my life, due to an allergy, so there was nothing but water in my thermos.  Yes, I felt deprived. 

The school I attended  in fifth grade had a main lunch area where students ate their lunches at long tables.  While enjoing lunch and conversation one day, I was seated at the table with a girl (I can't even remember her name) who had the giggles.  During one fit of giggles, she bent forward and somehow managed to get her bendy straw stuck between the eyelids of her right eye.  It was pretty freaky as I recall.  I grabbed the straw and pulled it out.  Thankfully, her eye was fine.  We all calmed down and finished lunch.  I guess that memory must have had an impact on me.

Memories are funny things.  Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment