So glad you visitied!


Thank you for stopping by!

This blog is a compilation of my favorite recipes. Over the years, I have gathered recipes from lots of different people and places. These are by no means my personal creations, unless noted.


You are invited to comment, chat, and enter recipes of your own. Hope you have fun!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Food Memories Journal 6

Dessert: noun

Description:  the final course of a meal; often a sweet flavor and high in fat content and calories

Dessert was not a part of my childhood daily routine.  Dessert was reserved for company and special occasions.  My mother is a good baker. Me?  Not so much.  I can cook just about anything, but baking?  Not my strong point.

I have tried to make cookies, cakes, candy, bars, breads, and anything else that might need baking.  Cake mixes are fairly consistent, break and bake cookies work out for me sometimes, and my Almond Bars are pretty good.  And I scoop a mean bowl of ice cream.

The last banana bread I made was a complete failure. I had lots of bananas, so I doubled the recipe.   I knew something was wrong when I mixed in the flour and my mixer overheated.  The second clue should have been the fact that the loaf pan weighed about nine pounds.  Still, I baked it, (it smelled good) and cooled it ( it looked good).   I was so excited….the house smelled wonderful!  When I tried to cut it with a knife, it was like sawing concrete.  So I took the whole thing and put it in the trash can.  Dave came home about an hour later, and found the banana bread in the trash and took it out, thinking it was there by mistake (really?) until he tried to cut it.  Back into the trash can it went.  Looking back, I am pretty sure that I doubled the recipe, but quadrupled the flour. 

Favorite family desserts:  Yule Log. Almond Bars.  Marble Brownies.  Lemon meringue pie.  Pumpkin pie. Chocolate Volcano  cake.  Ice cream. Klondike Bars.  Ponsonita Sundae. Éclair dessert.  Buster Bar Dessert.  Cherry pie. Coconut cream pie. Cherry cheesecake. Hot fudge sundae.

1 comment: