So glad you visitied!


Thank you for stopping by!

This blog is a compilation of my favorite recipes. Over the years, I have gathered recipes from lots of different people and places. These are by no means my personal creations, unless noted.


You are invited to comment, chat, and enter recipes of your own. Hope you have fun!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Food Memories Journal 1

Early food memories:


Root beer floats on Sunday night after church
Popcorn on the stove.
Peppermint Cookies at Christmas time
Noodles and butterballs.  I never really liked butterballs.  Thankfully, there was always someone who was willing to take them off my plate.
Chicken.  Lots and lots and lots of chicken. 
Chicken stew with mushy potatoes and carrots and celery.
Beef and vegetable soup with mushy cabbage, mushy potatoes, and mushy carrots.
Carrots.  I don't like carrots.  I have never like carrots.  A few years ago I finally embraced the fact that I don't like carrots and therefore I choose not to eat them.  I don't care if they are good for me.  I don't care if they will give me good eyesight.  I don't like carrots.
Popcorn balls with crushed peppermint.
Peanut brittle
Grapefruit soda  one 2-liter for 4 people
Spices - or the lack of them.  In my home, we had salt, pepper and allspice.  Nothing else. 
Sandwiches.  My dad will wrap a piece of bread around anything and call it a sandwich. 
Strawberry and blackberry noodle.  They took all day to make.  Make the noodle dough, let it set, fill them with strawberries, boil them, make a sweet cream sauce and eat them all that evening.  Not good left over.  (Of course, at this time, I did not like blackberries or strawberries.). 
Potatoes and Glase  Still my favorite today.
German Sausage.  Not sure how Mom did it - but she cooks it better that anyone.
Kraut Birok.  Not enough words to say how wonderful they are. 
Meatloaf.  Really bad meatloaf.  It was many years into my marriage before I tried meatloaf.  Mine is much better.
Canned green beans.  I ate many many cans.  Often for meals after work at the hospital
Corn on the cob.  From Uncle Ed's farm.  Husking lots and lots of ears, then cutting it off the cobs and blanching it for freezing. I also remembered putting the new season's corn in the freezer.  Mom told me to make sure that I "rotated" the corn wso we would use the older stuff first.  Unfortunately, I forgot to put the other bag back in the freezer - until we smelled it a few days later. 
Jello.  Every possible color. 
Frog eye salad.  Yecch.
Peanut butter sandwiches and potato chips in a red plaid metal lunch box. 
Homemade pickles.  Jars and jars of them  and even better, crock pickles!
Beef stew with mushy potatoes, and mushy carrots.
Bean soup with ham
Porcupine meatballs

1 comment:

  1. Favorite South Beach rule - No carrots...too much sugar. You could barely contain your excitement ;)

    Homemade pickles are gross...just drink a can a vinegar why don't you. I will give you mine and you can give me your butterballs.

    And finally...I think you win the prize for most uses of the word "mushy" in one blog. Tell us how you really feel! :)

    ReplyDelete