So glad you visitied!


Thank you for stopping by!

This blog is a compilation of my favorite recipes. Over the years, I have gathered recipes from lots of different people and places. These are by no means my personal creations, unless noted.


You are invited to comment, chat, and enter recipes of your own. Hope you have fun!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Food Memories Journal 5

Dishes:  noun
Definition:   a grouping of similarly patterned items for the presentation of food.   Typically consists of dinner plate, salad plate, bowl , bread/dessert plate. Set may also contain serving items, i.e. large bowls, meat platter, gravy boat, soup terrene, etc.

My mother loves dishes.  I mean she really, really loves dishes.  All kinds of dishes!  Stoneware dishes, ironstone dishes, depression glass dishes, Noritake, Mikasa, Corelle, Hull Pottery and tons of others that I can’t name.  As long as I can remember there has been a parade of different patterns floating across her table.

My early memories contain Melmac dishes - white with a blue flower.  We also had plastic drinking goblets.  They have a swirled pattern in the drinking part of the glass, and Melmac  bases – sort of “feet.”  I think the feet were white.  The glasses were so interesting that I had to see if I could find a picture of them somewhere on the internet.  They are listed at 1960’s Retro Drinking Glasses.

Ironstone was next – it did not last long...it was “way too heavy.”  Several stoneware patterns followed, then came several different patterns of Corelle and Pfaltzgraff . 

After all these years, Depression Glass continues to be Mom’s favorite find.  Glass dishes  of all different colors – ruby red, cobalt, light green, dark green, light blue, amber, and her favorite, pastel pink. Many pieces grace the display cabinets and china hutches in her home.

Garage sales and “The Value Village” are my mother’s favorite places to shop.  She constantly combs through peoples castoffs looking for hidden treasures.  So many of these beautiful pieces are part of an estate or donated to thrift stores by people who don’t know their true value.  When these items appear, Mom makes a few fast bucks selling them to her favorite antique man, Ken.  Of course, most of the time she is outwardly (and vocally) disappointed that he sells the items for twice what she is paid, but I believe it is all part of a delightful game. 

Mom’s china pattern was” Rose Chintz” by Mieto of Japan.  It is a simple pattern with a delicate burgundy red rose and silver rims.  I loved that pattern, and it was always a special day if the table was set with the china.  This set now resides in my home.  When I was first married, I received a set of Franciscan Ware Desert Rose.  Mom liked it better than hers, so we traded. I love to use the china, and do so whenever possible.  What an honor to share this treasure with my family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment